Pillowy soft, delicious pav. Once you will make these, you will never buy pav again.
I am writing blog post after really long. And I am definitely not going to bore you with the stories and reasons behind it 😉 .
This ladi pav recipe one takes 2-3 hours to knead and proof and bakes in 10-12 mins.
Here is the recipe:
- All Purpose Flour: 3 cups
- Melted Ghee: 3 Tbsp
- Sugar: 2 Tbsp
- Skimmed Milk Powder: 1 Tbsp
- Salt: 1 Tsp
- Dry Yeast: 2 Tsp/ 1 packet
- 1 and 1/4 cup warm water (100 F/ 38 C)
- Extra flour to kneading and dusting
- Extra Ghee for Greasing
- In a large bowl take 1& 1/4 cup warm water. Please make sure water is warm. Add 1 packet/ 2 tsp dry yeast and sugar to water and mix. Let this mixture rest for 5- 10 mins.
- You should see froth on top of this mix. If its not forming then yeast is not active. Start again.
- Add 2 Tbsp ghee, 1 Tbsp skimmed milk powder, 1 tsp salt and 3 cups all purpose flour to the yeast mixture.
- Mix together and form a sticky dough.
- Clean up kitchen platform. Dust little flour and knead this sticky dough for 8-10 mins, Use 1 Tbsp flour at a time to knead (if needed). If your dough is not sticky, dont worry keep kneading to form a smooth elastic dough.
- Grease a large bowl with ghee. Keep the dough in it and cover with saran warp. Place it in warm place. Rest for 1 hour. Since it’s still cold here I placed it in oven with lights-on.
- Meanwhile prepare the baking tray. Grease and dust tray. Use 9in x 13in tray that can fit 12-15 pav.
- Check the dough after one hour should have doubled in quantity. Punch air and knead again for 8-10 mins. Divide this dough into 12 or 15 equal parts. Place them in oven leaving 1 inch distance between them and the tray corners.
- Cover the tray and prove/rest for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 450F/ 230C.
- The dough balls should rise remarkably. Do not touch them or knock air out of them. The translucent air pockets indicate a good rise and will result in airy pockets.
- Bake for 10-11 mins or until the tops get lightly browned.
- Remove the tray from oven and cool on wired rack.
- Enjoy with Misal Pav, Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav ( will share baked vada pav recipe soon)
- You can use 3 Tbsp unsalted butter instead of ghee and milk powder.
- When kneading dough for first time, if dough is too stiff add 1 tbsp warm water.
- You can divide the dough in small balls to make mini ladi pav.
- You do not knead to brush them with ghee or butter after baking, because its pav not a fancy bun.