A classic south Indian twist to rice roti. It is little fluffy, delicious and super easy.
For years, South Indian food has been Idli, Dosa, Vada and varieties of rice and podis for me. I came across picture of Akki Roti in a food group post on Facebook and decided to give it a try. Akki means rice and roti means flatbread. It is a breakfast delicacy from Karnataka (Southern State from India).
I added a ‘Foodsense’ twist to traditional recipe by changing the variety of rice flour. It turned out to be so good. Once served these rotis will disappear in minutes. That’s my guarantee😎.
The best part about this roti is that there is no laborious kneading involved. Rice is not a source of gluten and hence, is easy to work. It is scrumptious and has a unique flavor. Sometimes, food tastes delicious with minimal ingredients and Akki Roti is to name one! The flavor from caramelized onions comes through very well.
I always encourage to try new food items; be it local or global. You can always modify ingredients as per availability. I have been relishing this roti with different Indian curries.
“When you keep trying new recipes, what is staple for one becomes indulgence for another”-Neha Kothari
Here is list of ingredients for yummy Akki Roti.
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves/cilantro, chopped
- 6 tsp oil
- Water as required
- In a mixing bowl take all the ingredients except oil and water. Give them a nice mix. Now slowly add water. The dough should be soft not runny. Divide the dough in 3 equal portions.
- Heat a cast iron griddle or nonstick pan.
- Once pan is heated reduced the flame to lowest. Spread 1 tsp oil on it. Place the dough ball in center. Press and spread it on the griddle with hand till its spreadable.
- Let it cook, add 1 tsp oil on top and flip. Cook for 1-2 min on medium flame. Follow same steps for other dough balls.
- Serve hot & Enjoy!
- Traditional Akki Roti is thin as it has white rice. With brown rice flour its difficult to spread it thin.
- You can add other vegetable to it like carrots, spinach etc.