These falafels are not just baked but infused with flavorful herbs and pop of color!
I have not met anyone who would say no to falafel. Falafel tastes incredible! They are made of chickpeas, herbs and spices. Traditionally they are fried which gives them unique flavor and crunchy texture. But as you know I have rational fear of deep frying stuff (comes with profession) so I baked them 😎.
If you dont have an oven you can cook them on a non-stick skillet with little oil to have perfect crunchy exterior and soft interior.
Falafels are perfect snack (if not deep fried🙄 ). You can add them to salads, wraps, or have them as a side.
I have been wanting to try falafel from scratch and it was long pending. Here I am sharing my tried and tested recipe of Healthy Falafel. It’s vegan and gluten free !! I have added beetroot to it. You can add any vegetable puree to add color and nutrients.
- 1 Can of Chickpeas (rinse and drain)
- 1/4 cup beetroot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed or coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped (you can sub cilantro/coriander leaves)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chickpea flour (THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL)
- 1/4 tsp cumin (optional)
- 1-2 pinch black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper/ red chili powder
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Keep all ingredient measured and ready.
- First blend beetroot and garlic in a food processor. Add 1 Tbsp water until coarse paste is formed.
- Add chickpeas to the same food processor and blend for 30 sec then mix everything with spatula and blend for another 30 sec. Repeat till you have coarse pink paste.
- Now preheat the oven at 400 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Transfer paste in a mixing bowl. Add remainder ingredients and mix well. Adjust salt.
- Take little more than 1 Tbsp of mix onto your palms and make coin size patties.
- This mix will make 14-15 patties.
- Lay them on baking tray. Once oven is heated transfer tray in it and bake for 30 mins. Flip them after 15 mins.
- Once both sides are little golden brown they are done. Dont bake too long they will be very dry.
- You can serve them hot or cool and freeze them. It will stay good for a week. They will be long gone before that 😉😉
- You can bake them without parchment paper.
- Enjoy falafel with hummus, tatziki and pita bread.
Please tag us #foodsense if you are trying out any recipes.