This healthy Thai Cabbage Salad is light, and packed with crunch and flavor. It is great for lunch, dinner, and potlucks.
Cabbage is a member of the cruciferous vegetable family which is rich in compounds called indoles and isothiocyanates. These are well researched and may help prevent cancer.
There are different variety of cabbages available as green, napa and red. Green and red have similarities in size, shape, texture except color. The other variety, napa is also known as celery cabbage. It is a mild subtle cabbage with crisp texture.
Cabbage is good source of vitamin K and C. Vitamin K fuels the proteins that rebuild bone and is also thought to positively affect calcium balance, a key mineral in bone metabolism. Vitamin C is essential in keeping skin healthy. Also it supports the immune system.
Cabbage is very hardy and easy to grow. On an average, cabbage costs less than $1 per pound and that produces a salad that can serve a family of four, maybe more 🙂
In India, it is mainly sauteed or cooked in oil with turmeric. Cabbage fuels Americans’ obsession with coleslaw and sauerkraut. And is been used as a wrappers for sandwiches and other stuffings.
I was came across this yummy recipe of Thai Cabbage Salad that is beyond these basic staples. Another reason I love it cause it has peanuts (makes me happy).
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp green chili, minced
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp dry roasted peanuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor jar or blender, combine the dressing ingredients. Process until emulsified.
To make salad
- In a large bowl, take all of the salad ingredients. Pour the dressing.
- Add freshly crushed black pepper and salt to taste. (Taste dressing first and then adjust salt)
- Toss until mixed
- Serve it as a side or as a meal😎
- You can add soy sauce marinated tofu to make it a complete meal.
- You can also add lemongrass paste in the dressing!!
4 thoughts on “Thai Cabbage Salad”
It tastes amazing and very healthy
LikeLiked by 2 people
Glad that you like it 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person