No added oil or sugar. This is a perfect whole foods, plant-based ( #wfpd ), vegan meal.
A perfect meal for those who want to put minimal efforts into cooking and get maximum health benefits. This is my go-to-meal when nothing is planned. It has all the essential nutrients. This complete meal is made without oil & sugar.
Besan Chilla is very popular in Indian households. It is now popular in rest of the world as “Vegan Omelette”. Whisking water with chickpea flour/besan creates a perfect fluffy chilla or omelette. It just breaks my heart when I see people making vegan omelettes from “JUST” bottles🤦♀️. I hope after trying this recipe you will never have to buy Just premix.
I always make sure that my plate has all essential food groups i.e. grains/legumes, colorful vegetables and a good source of fat. There are a few essentials that I have everyday in my meal- beetroots and avocado. I eat them as a side or incorporate into recipes. In this recipe I haven’t added any visible fat.
This is a balanced meal that can be made by people with minimal cooking skills. Chilla can be made for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This recipe yields 2 chilla.
- 1/2 Cup Besan (Chickpea Flour)
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, Grated
- 1 Tbsp Onion, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 Pinch Cumin
- 1 Pinch Red Chili Powder or 1/4 tsp green, chili finely chopped
- In a bowl, take chickpea flour. Add water slowly to make a smooth paste. Gradually add rest of the water. Please do not add more water. Whisk until its slightly foamy.
- Add remaining ingredients. And mix well. Let it rest for 2-3 mins.
- Meanwhile, prepare your salad or take a nap :p
- Heat a non-stick pan. Once its hot. reduce the flame or power to low to medium heat.
- Mix the resting batter. Make sure the heat is on low to medium flame. With help of a ladle pour half of the chilla mix on to hot pan. Spread it quickly if you like it thin. It wont be super thin because of the veggies.
- After 1 min flip to the other side and cook for another 1 min.
- Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of pan and thickness of chilla.
- Serve hot. Enjoy with side of salad and half a avocado.
- You can also have it with Cilantro Mint Chutney.
- You can add any veggies you like.
If you are trying out any recipes and sharing on social media, please tag us #foodsense and do comment on recipes here. This encourages a lot!
Try Other Recipes:
Moong Sprout Salad
I call moong sprouts as ’emeralds’. They are versatile and packed with nutrients.
Hearty Barley Soup
Celebrating the grain power with this hearty soup bowl.
Salad: A One Pot Meal Guide
Hassle free 10 min meals for people who are always on the go.
Follow us on:
1 thought on “A Complete Vegan Meal”