Celebrating the grain power with this hearty soup bowl.
Barley is an ancient grain. It has history of cultivation as early as 10,000 years ago. Barley is available in many forms as hulled, pearled, oats, flour and grits.
In this recipe, I have used pearled barley. It is a good source of soluble fiber Beta-glucan. Consumption of 3 g of soluble fiber per day is known to reduce blood cholesterol levels which is a risk factor for many cardiovascular disorders.
Soluble fibers are not just heart healthy, they also help in management of blood glucose levels, weight and certain digestive disorders. Barley is not gluten free. It can be unsuitable for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Barley has been extensively used by dietitians in management of above disorders as well as gallstones, kidney disorders and hypertension.
Here is the recipe of barley soup (serves: 4)
- Pearled barley, raw – 1.5 cups
- Different Veggies that are in season or as you like – 4 cups
- Ginger, grated- 1 tsp
- Garlic, chopped- 1 tsp
- Olive Oil- 2 tsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp (as per your health)
- Black Pepper Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Dried Basil- 1 tsp
- Avocado slices- to garnish
- scallions- to garnish
- hot sauce- to garnish
- Water to soak and cook
- Wash and soak barley in 3 cups water for 4 hours. Drain the water and keep barely aside.
- Prepare all the vegetables you wish to add in the soup. I added mushrooms, onion, zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, tomato, carrots.
- Heat a saucepan. Add oil in it. Start with ginger- garlic. Saute for 10 secs. add veggies one by one.
- Add barley and seasonings. Mix it will. Pour water. Cover and cook for 30-40 mins.
- Barley should be translucent like rice. Adjust consistency by adding water. Add softer veggies like tomatoes, pepper at the end and cook for another 10 mins.
- Serve hot. Top it with avocado slices, scallions and hot sauce.
Video of the recipe: Hearty Barley Soup
- If you have pressure cooker or instant pot, cooking time can be reduced by half.
- You add lemon juice just before serving or few drops of vinegar for acidity.
Here are more posts from Foodsense:
Moong Sprout Salad
I call moong sprouts as ’emeralds’. They are versatile and packed with nutrients.
A Complete Vegan Meal
No added oil or sugar. This is a perfect whole foods, plant-based ( #wfpd ), vegan meal.
Salad: A One Pot Meal Guide
Hassle free 10 min meals for people who are always on the go.
1 thought on “Hearty Barley Soup”