Low calorie, multigrain, and yummy Indian Chaat which can be a meal😋
If you havent tried Indian Chaat yet, you are missing out on really good stuff. Indian chaat is comprised of tangy, sweet, and spicy flavors from chutneys, deep fried savory snacks and spice mixes.
I miss roadside Indian chaat in US. Eating roadside chaat has its own fun and taste. So now whenever I crave for chaat I make it myself but a healthier version. I make sure it is a balanced meal consisting of all essential food groups.
Today I am sharing recipe of vada that I made recently. This was a complete experiment. As a vegetarian I tend to have lentils or legumes in all my meals. Most of lentil/ dal preparations are hot and steamy. Weather in SoCal is also getting warmer each day. So one such morning when I wanted to make something that is not as hot as temperature outside I made up a recipe of vada and paired it with cold creamy yogurt. And dollops of Cilantro Mint Chutney. It was so good that I think with a side of salad it can be eaten as a complete meal.
You will need a “appe pan” or “paniyaram pan” for this recipe.
For Vada– (makes 7 vadas)
- 3 Tbsp besan / chana flour
- 2 Tbsp Bajra flour (Indian Millet) If you cannot find it replace with oats flour or chana flour.
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water as required.
To grease appe pan-
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp Dried Cranberries/ raisins
- 1.5 cup yogurt
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cilantro – Mint Chutney-
- 3-4 Tbsp Cilantro Mint Chutney
- In a bowl take all the ingredients listed under For Vada except water and cilantro. Mix all the dry ingredients. Pour water slowly and make paste. Slowly add water and to make thick flowing batter. Water quantity will depend on quality of chana flour. Whisk well and make lump free batter. Add cilantro, adjust salt and rest the batter.
- Put appe pan on medium heat for 2-3 mins. Grease the appe pan with a brush or you can use oil spray. Turn the heat to lowest.
- Take the batter and give it a whisk before pouring. Pour 1 tablespoon batter in each section. Do not fill to top. Leave a little space. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 2 mins on low flame.
- Remove lid and turnover the vadas with help of spoon or wooden stick. Cover and cook for another minute or two.
- Turn off the gas and remove all the vadas in a plate. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the whipped yogurt. Mix all the ingredients and whip with fork or whisker.
- Once vadas are cooled. Smash them with a spoon. Pour the whipped yogurt.
- Add another layer of cilantro-mint chutney. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Garnish with dried fruits like cranberries or raisins and serve chilled.
- To make it vegan or lactose free you can replace regular yogurt with plant based product.
If you are trying out any recipes from foodsense.blog please tag us #foodsense
2 thoughts on “Healthy Vada”