Little bitter but better!
I am pretty sure once you will try this at home you will not want to go back to store bought Nutella. It’s healthy, and rich in hazelnut flavor.
I never had a sweet tooth not even during my teens. When I tried Nutella I fell in love for the hazelnut flavor. My sister introduced it to me. It was a delicacy for me. And then I studied Nutrition and Food Science where I learned about sugar and oil and empty calories🤦♀️. If you will search on internet “Nutella Ingredients” you will know why I stopped buying it.
I have lot of hazelnuts or filberts at home. I have been wanting to make homemade nutella since long time and finally the day came. I found a recipe of homemade Nutella on The Splendid Table blog.
I did modify the recipe to a healthier version I didnt use as much sugar, oil or chocolate mentioned. It is now my favorite blend and trust me the flavor and texture of hazelnuts comes through so well. Now I have been topping my oatmeal with spoonful of this homemade Nutella.
I have made this with 100% unsweetened and 56% semi-sweet cacao mix. It is dark. But health wise it is better to be high on cocoa caffeine than on sugar 😁✌. If you dont like bitter chocolate replace it with milk chocolate but do make it once at home, you will love it.
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 4 ounces 100% cacao chocolate
- 8 ounces 56% cacao semi-sweet chocolate (You can use 12 ounce milk chocolate instead of 8+4 dark chocolate)
- 2 Tbsp mild vegetable oil ( I used peanut oil)
- 3 Tbsp Confectioner’s Sugar or you can use sweetner 1 tbsp
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (Only use if using milk chocolate, I didnt add)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt or more depending on your taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Spread hazelnuts in it. toast of 15 mins until they have browned a bit and skin starts to detach.
- Wrap them in kitchen towel and rub vigorously so that maximum skin comes off. You will still have a lot of skin on nuts, you can peel it off by hands but its okay it wont affect texture that much. Let nuts cool completely.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in microwave or on double boiler. Let it cool.
- Take a food processor, grind roasted hazelnuts until paste is formed. (Dont run processor continuously, run for 1 min at a time). Add other ingredients except chocolate and blend. In the end add melted chocolate and blend well. If you dont like grainy spread you can strain the mix. I did not strain.
- It makes approximately 25 ounce of Nutella. Transfer in glass jar. Let it cool and then cover. It will be good to consume up to 2-3 weeks without refrigeration. ❤
****To make it vegan replace milk chocolate with Vegan Chocolate.
If you are trying out recipes and posting on social media, please tag us #foodsense
1 thought on “Healthy Nutella”